Scooter market in India has spiced up when Italian manufacturer Piaggio launched Vespa. Following footprints Yamaha has also launched their first scooter, ‘Ray’, which was showcased earlier this year at the Auto Expo. Yamaha desperately wants to penetrate in to Honda’s market and is leaving no stone unturned for the same. Yamaha launched the Ray scooter earlier this month in Hyderabad with its new brand ambassador Deepika Padukone. Autocar India has got their hands on the scooter and we bring you some key points from their test ride.
- This light weighted 104 kgs scooter has got a sporty look, with a youthful appearance.
- The front resembles the Honda Dio with large headlights and new age mudguards.
- The saddle height has been kept low, keeping in mind the needs of its target audience. Ray offers a comfortable driving posture for average to medium built male riders, but the taller one’s may feel cramped up.
- Instrument cluster is stylish with a big speedometer and fuel gauge.
- The Yamaha Ray offers a good gripping over the accelerator and ergonomic brake levers.
- The Yamaha Ray lacks in rear brake locking clamp, which is much needed in the scooters of this segment as an important safety feature.
- The Yamaha Ray completely stands apart when it comes to storage space. It has got a large underseat storage bay, with a hook for bag near the ignition switch and too add it has got ample small storage compartments for your utilities.
- The pillion’s foot rests are designed ergonomically, to ensure a comfortable ride along with a broad alloy grab bar at the rear.
- The rear design is as impressive as the front with clear lens turn indicators included in the tail light.
- The four-stroke air-cooled engine produces a top power of 7 BHP at 5000 RPM and a peak torque of 8 Nm at 5000 RPM which are pretty decent for 113cc engine. The engine is vibration free and smooth. It has adequate performance for commuting.
- Handling is good with light steering and good stability.
- The telescopic type suspension is used in the front and unit swing at the rear for a comfortable ride experience.
- The brakes are drum type of equal 130mm diameter in front and rear, offering adequate stopping power.
- Quality is very good and all the plastics feel built to last.
- The Yamaha Ray is a comfortable scooter with modern styling, high quality and a reliable engine.
Source – Autocar India