X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Future of SUVs in India

Today, saw a Suzuki Grand Vitara for the very first time. The design looked sleek unlike a hunky SUV with everything where it should be, nothing extra, no extra curves, no unnecessary sprouts etc. Reached office and started reading about Vitara. (Had never even heard of it before).

It's a great car no doubt, and while reading came upon article http://www.motorbeam.com/cars/maruti...-suvs-by-2015/.
    Suzuki is planning to launch 4 SUVs by 2015. Made me think, is India going towards the SUV trend? With affordable SUVs coming in starting with Ford's Eco Sport. I wonder who will dominate the SUV market in the coming years, and which SUVs are likely to be converted to Taxi brands. What's your opinion on this?

I think in near future compact SUV will replace premium hatchbacks. :?

MSIL should have offered Grand Vitara with Diesel which was demanded by Indian SUV buyer. Only few people buy petrol SUV.

Comment

People have realized Maruti is cheap brand its only best spend a little amount of their hard money! To spend on high end vehicles which come from a small car manufacturer is not advisable by insurance companies also in other countries and that can be seen in India as well but albeit by word of mouth method

its not feasible for me to spend more then 11 lacs on the Kizashi because it deserved that much money(loads of embarrassing cost cutting, trust me) and now that its gone WE DONT CARE ;)

Comment

As you all might know, automobile companies suffer from herd mentality. So whenever one person enters a segment, other one definitely has to. Expect our market to be over crowded with SUVs in the near future. By 2016, you might have more than 10 compact SUVs to choose from.

Comment

And several ugly 7-seater so-called MPV's too. :-x

Comment

it's kind of an evolution which last for some time (4-5 years) in Indian automotive industry and then a new segment takes over it.

remember the 2010 auto expo, flooded with hatchbacks

2012 auto expo saw the demand for suv's

i just pray that there will also be an evolution for sedans may be not in 2014 auto expo( the SUV's still are concurring) but may be the 2016 one?

Comment

Sidd, sedans have also been a favourite and in primary demand across price points. Thus it's not going to be a sedan revolution, the evolution is in the form of sub 4-metre sedans.

Comment

I think that the Indian market doesn't have a mature lineup of SUVs. In the entry level segment there are wannabe SUVs such as the Ford EcoSport, Mahindra Quanto and so on. Then comes the Renault Duster and Nissan Terrano, both are good SUVs in terms of practicality but are indeed overpriced. After that comes the segment of SUVs such as Mahindra XUV500, Tata Safari Storme, Force One, etc, which are excellent in some areas but they lack in the reliability factor.

The Skoda Yeti is a good product but we cant see it as a proper SUV and it comes with a hefty price tag. Finally it comes to the segment in which you find an array of SUVs such as the Toyota Fortuner, Mitsubishi Pajero Sport, Chevrolet Captiva and so on but this segment is not affordable to a wide audience and pass Rs. 20 lakhs mark, which is expensive.

The SsangYong Rexton is a great SUV that offers good value but its after sales is doubtful and it also tends to cross the Rs. 20 lakh mark. So I think the future of SUVs in India relies between the price range of Rs. 10 - 20 lakhs, in which the carmakers should come up with SUVs offering decent value along with trendy styling and up market features. It is achievable with good amount of localization and sane budgets from the government.

Comment

Spot on Aariz, that is the reason some one needs to step in and clear the air around what a definition of a particular body style is. Anyone goes and calls their car an SUV. The EcoSport and Duster being called SUV is still tolerable but Quanto? Really!

Comment

Exactly my point Faisal, carmakers can mint money if they chalk out a proper SUV in this space. I feel Hyundai is capable of doing that because they have a good design language and they have the capability of stuffing a car with as many features possible maintaining good quality and keeping the price under control. They just need to get their mechanicals and dynamics right.

Hahaha! Quanto sounds like a joke and looks like a joker too. According to me, such type of cars are JUV (Jugaad Utility Vehicle).

Comment

I think what is really giving the push to CUVs (Compact Utility Vehicles) is the tax benefit. Just see EcoSport and Fiesta pricing, the former has heavier localisation but lower excise duty also helps.

Comment

Going for a vehicle on the basis of ex-showroom price is not at all recommended. OTR prices can change heavily due to our 'Independent' Government.

Comment

yes the OTR drastically changes depending on the body style you are buying because of the government's independent policies

Comment

They will hit you with the car lenght, breadth. Engine Cubic capacity, CO2 emissions.( its a joke, they.nirmally decide.in on the displacement a engine has), petrol or diesel, GC, Residential Area. Now in keral you have to pay more tax for a second car in the same home. Then again they apply taxes when cars are transported. Our government is robbing us, what do we expect feom them? Nothing.

Comment

Our government will apply tax based on Cubic capacity/ Displacement, Length, breadth, GC, emmisions, transportation tax, Octroi, Road tax, Pollution tax.( in kerala if you are buying a second vehicle then taxes are more). Please add more if I missed anything.

Comment

Working...
                              X