Is Indian Car and Bike Market a Generation Behind than Others ?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Indian Car and Bike Market a Generation Behind than Others ?

I genuinely feel that our market is not as mature as the European, American and even a Chinese market is. What's the reason behind it? unwillingness of manufacturers or our obsession of being stuck with cheaper and 'VFM (?)' products. Because unless we demand it no one will give us what we want.

I would say a BIG YES. We are still not developed as a market. We still don't understand what value is. The focus is on cheap and not VFM. The focus is on brands which are selling, not products which are better.

If this approach continues for long, our market isn't going to develop. Manufacturers will start to offer us what we want rather than what we should have!

Comment

Yes I completely agree and then multiply it thousand times. There are so many good cars in our market which don't sell because our people are to busy following others. VFM according to them means more qualityless features. It's like low price and more quanity means VFM. But they doesn't know that value is not only based on money. It's actually the least component.

I met a lot of people who own a Suzuki product. Almost 6-7 of them went for it because others did. And from these people too around 5 people are not happy with the build quality and ownership satisfaction. If this post is not too long.

I want to state an incident here. Due to 'Not So High' GC and lack of Engine guard. A friend of mine is living a Suzuki Estilo nightmare. His car's Oil filter got hit. Not once but twice. He is saying ki Suzuki has priced the BOSCH Filter just below 100 bucks. But he hates the fact that everytime he drives he has too concentrate on not hitting the filter and sump rather than enjoy the drive.

So all I am saying is that. In search of saving money one ends up with a box that moves people and goods rather than a beautifully crafted machine which makes a lot of your journeys unforgettable. Wow, this post is larger than i thought. ;p

Comment

In India everyone wants status, that's how it is. Estilo is not a bad car, it's just horrible and it's so outdated but just because it's a Maruti, people buy it, eyes closed.

While at the other end, bikes like KTM are not in demand because they don't have a full fairing like the R15/CBR.

Comment

Yeah. Take Ford EcoSport's example. If Duster wouldn't have started compact SUV era in India. Ford would have taken even longer to launch her here.

Comment

The lack of knowledge towards automotive sector is what is killing the fun for enthusiasts. Media too does take stuff seriously as most of them are owned by big shots they are just interested in roaming around the world. Status as faisal said is absolutely true and we both come to this conclusion several times. There is no denying that a car with a boot and bike with a fairing symbolises "STATUS HIGHER THEN NEIGHBOUR" thing. Bajaj understands somewhat and has always been the saviour in motorcycles. Honda and other manufacturers are just here to laugh at Indian mentality and loot them with "quality products" with their entry level models.

Comment

Actually Ford and Renault showcased the EcoSport and Duster respectively at the same time (at the 2012 Auto Expo).

Comment

Yep faisal, but see they launched Duster sooner than EcoSport maybe EcoSport was not production ready, however, we can't deny the fact that Duster indeed started a new trend in here. Change is not easy but not impossible either, all it takes is a random manufacturer to bet on a new segment with all their belief and ability. I reckon if it happens more times, It will be safe to say thag new segments will grow on people :)
                Originally posted by Mohit View Post
                There is no denying that a car with a boot and bike with a fairing symbolises "STATUS HIGHER THEN NEIGHBOUR" thing.
                Agree mohit, totally agree. When buying a car, the usual thinkin is 'People will adore her'. It's like buying a vehicle only for 'bahot raub padega apna' i.e., in search of a status symbol. Then comes the drivability and other aspects. It's okay to show off sometimes but the primary reason should be your will to drive good cars. And as you stated Fully fared-Naked bikes equation. Even if duke 200 and future Pulsar 200 full fairing costs same. People will chose pulsar over Duke, just because of the fairing. And we all know how Duke rides and how a pulsar rides.

Comment

We in India buy cars/bikes more for others than for ourselves. Government needs to put poser tax!

Comment

Lol faisal. But seriously, Vehicles have become a thing of entertinment for others. And one thing I am not a fan of. Relatives asking to borrow cars. I mean it's like a sandwitch. But good for me cause I am famous in my family to not give my personl things to others. So nobody asks me about my bike even. Better to say no upfront than regretting the decisions.

Comment

Haha Ritu, the thing is that not everyone driver/rides your vehicle with the same passion and love and it hurts.

Comment

Originally posted by Faisal View Post
                        Haha Ritu, the thing is that not everyone driver/rides your vehicle with the same passion and love and it hurts.
                        . Yes faisal agreem so its better to trust only close people about your bike. . A new topic. . Are Indians craving for Fiat MJD 2 and MultiAir engines?
                        Last edited by rituraj_s; 30-11-13, 03:20 PM.

Comment

IMO manufacturers are more interested in launching their discontinued global products in India rather than new.

Comment

Working...
                          X