Hyundai Elite i20 Facelift Long Term Review
Long Term Test No. 151
Car Tested: Hyundai Elite i20 Facelift
Kms Done: 4452 kms
Test Started at: 4686 kms
Test Concluded at: 9138 kms
Mileage: 16.1 km/l, 19.4 km/l (best), 13.9 km/l (worst)
The punchy diesel engine, compact dimensions and light steering make the i20 ideal for both city and highway driving
The Hyundai Elite i20 has been in our long term fleet for quite some time now and most of the crew were happy to grab the keys of the vehicle for the ease of driving it offers. But it's not just in the city but even out on the highway that the i20 felt comfortable due to its good ride and efficient oil burner. In fact, Dhanil took the car to Goa and came back happy for multiple reasons.
He was able to fit enough luggage in the boot, the rear seat occupants were happy and the punchy diesel engine meant overtaking was quite a breeze too. However, I will be honest, I have used the car mostly in the city where its light steering meant easy manoeuvrability, turbo lag being contained meant good drivability, frugal motor meant fewer visits to the pump and of course the small yet nifty features meant I had little to complain about.
Now, of course, the Hyundai i20 comes loaded with a lot of kit but my favourite feature has to be the infotainment system, it connects very quickly, offers good audio quality and the reverse camera is legit too, so fitting this almost 4-metre hatch into tight parking spots never felt like a challenge. And while the light steering is a boon in almost 80% of driving situations, in the rest 20%, I did wish for more feel and feedback, especially around the corners.
The i20 continues to be the best premium hatchback in the market
Make no mistake, the Hyundai i20 isn't about fun because there is some roll on offer and the chassis isn't much communicative either. However, if you seek practicality, then this Korean hatch shines. Good storage spaces (the one below the centre console is quite useful to keep the keys and phone), comfortable seats and an engine that is quite refined too, never felt as diesel-y as other cars at this price point.
Hyundai has also done well on the quality front, everything feels well put-together, nothing rattles even after rough usage and the small things make the whole experience so much better. I have almost always used the sunglass holder near the IRVM and the cupholders next to the handbrake. Even though it was winter during this test, the afternoons have been awfully hot and the i20's climate control AC has chilled the cabin in no time. Evidently, the Hyundai i20's popularity can be attributed to its practical and easy to drive nature, one of the major reasons why many love this car, us included.
* Punchy performance and good ride quality
* Feature loaded interiors along with a spacious cabin and boot
* Compact dimensions and light steering
* Good fuel efficiency and comes with 6 airbags (top variant)
What's Not So Cool
* Steering could have offered more feedback
* Softer suspension leads to poor handling
Further Reading -