Kawasaki has announced the launch of India Kawasaki Motors Pvt. Ltd. (IKM), its new Indian subsidiary specializing in motorcycle imports and sales. IKM is expecting its release of several supersport, sport and cruiser models primarily in the 250cc class or greater to drive sales up to around 1,000 units in 2010. Kawasaki entered into a technical assistance agreement with Bajaj Auto in 1984. Under the agreement, Bajaj has produced and sold motorcycles in collaboration with Kawasaki. Kawasaki’s new imports and sales subsidiary, IKM will consign the production of CKD 1 motorcycles to BAL’s Chakan plant. The locally made motorcycles will then be sold together with imported complete motorcycles through Bajaj’s Probiking shops.
Overview of India Kawasaki Motors Pvt. Ltd. : –
- Location: Pune, Maharashtra, India
- Establishment: Early May 2010
- Representative: Yoshihiro Tanigawa
- Capital: 50 million rupees (wholly invested by Kawasaki Heavy Industries, Ltd.)
- Description of business – Import, production and sales of motorcycles
- Number of employees – 3 (upon establishment)