Performance – The Yamaha FZ-S V3 is powered by a 149cc, single-cylinder, air-cooled motor which produces 12.2 BHP of power at 7250 RPM and a peak torque of 13.6 Nm at 5500 RPM. You don’t get a carb variant for the new FZ, it is just FI. Power delivery from the engine is linear while it has a reprogrammed ECU for better acceleration. The bike has a good low-end and mid-range but no top-end. The engine revs quickly till 6000 RPM, post that it feels a little sluggish while it redlines at 9000 RPM.
The Yamaha FZ-S V3 has a refined engine and a throaty exhaust note
Technically the motor is the same as before but the numbers have gone down quite a lot. The clutch feels light and the 5-speed gearbox is a gem to live with. Although it is the least powerful bike in the segment, it is still fun to ride due to its excellent engine refinement. The Yamaha FZ delivers fuel efficiency of 46 km/l. A slight buzz can be felt on the handlebar at higher RPM, but overall vibrations are minimum.
Riding Dynamics – As the ergonomics are upright, the bike feels comfortable. The overall ride quality of the bike is smooth and comfortable. The bike offers the best handling in the segment and has good maneuverability. Suspension and chassis are similar to the previous model and have a balanced setup. The front telescopic forks perform well in absorbing bumps and uneven patches on the road. Braking duty is handled by discs at both front and rear, which now comes as standard on the bike and it also gets a single-channel ABS. The feedback from the tyres and the brakes is confidence-inspiring and the built quality is just about right.
Verdict – With the new generation update, the bike is now more practical and better equipped than ever before. It came in as the sporty 150cc naked and is now become more of a commuter motorcycle. Although the bike is the least powerful in the segment, the superior handling characteristics of the bike compensates for it. If you are looking for an everyday commuter that has sporty looks and is practical too, the new Yamaha FZ-S can be your go-to motorcycle.
* Engine refinement is good
* Offers a comfortable ride
* Braking feedback is confidence-inspiring
What’s Not So Cool
* No gear position indicator
* Produces the least power in the segment
* Headlight illumination isn’t as effective as others
Yamaha FZ-S V3 Specifications
* Engine: 149cc, Single-Cylinder, Air-Cooled
* Power: 12.2 BHP @ 7250 rpm
* Torque : 13.6 Nm @ 5500 rpm
* Transmission: 5-Speed
* Fuel Type: Petrol
* Fuel Consumption : 46 km/l
* Frame: Diamond Frame
* Tyres: 100/80/17 (Front), 140/60/17 (Rear)
* Suspension: Telescopic Forks (Front), 7-Step Adjustable Monohock (Rear)
* Brakes: 282 mm Disc (Front), 260 mm Disc (Rear)
Yamaha FZ-S V3 Dimensions
* Length x Width x Height: 1990 mm x 780 mm x 1080 mm
* Wheelbase: 1330 mm
* Seat Height: 790 mm
* Fuel Tank Capacity: 13-litres
* Kerb weight: 132 kgs