Audi India has launched the A8 L with a 4.2-litre diesel engine today. This 4.2 V8 TDI motor produces 350 BHP of peak power at 4000 RPM and a massive 800 Nm of peak torque between 1750-2750 RPM. Mated to this engine is a 8-speed tip-tronic gearbox. and with so much torque on disposal, Audi has channeled power via the Quattro all-wheel drive system. The Audi A8L with the 4.2 TDI heart reaches 100 km/h in just 5.6 seconds and is limited to a top speed of 250 km/h. The Audi A8L 4.2 TDI q is priced at Rs. 10,075,000/- (ex-showroom, Maharashtra).
Abhishek Bachchan is the first customer of the A8L 4.2 and the Audi will hand over the keys of his customized car later today. The 4.2-litre diesel engine is the fourth engine in the Audi A8 India line-up. Audi also offers the A8 L with a 4.2-litre V8 FSI petrol engine, 6.3-litre W12 petrol engine and 3.0-litre TDI diesel engine. The Audi A8 range is priced at Rs. 1.04 crore for the 3.0-litre TDI engine, Rs. 1.152 crore for the 4.2 FSI engine and Rs. 1.66 crore for the 6.3-litre W12 engine (all prices on-road, Mumbai). All these engines are q variants, having the quattro permanent all-wheel drive system as standard.
Audi offers the A8 in long-wheel base version for the Indian market, owing to the high chauffeur driven cars in the country. The A8 L has a 13 cm longer wheelbase than the standard A8. All the variants of the A8 are feature laden with the best of technology and comfort that Audi has to offer to its customers. Even though Audi has launched the 4.2-litre bi-turbo engined A8 L, we expect the 3.0-litre TDI to continue to be the best seller in the A8 range, as buyers prefer to bask in the luxury of the rear seat.
Pointers From The Press Conference –
- Audi is operating on a healhy11.5 percent profit margin
- Volume has doubled over last 10 years
- Globally number 2 position after BMW (Mercedes-Benz is planing to overtake Audi by 2015 globally)
- Fastest growing luxury brand in 2011
- India is the fastest growing market for Audi globally
- Launching A3 in Europe, will eventually make it to India (mostly in 2014)
- 98 percent growth in July 2012 (YoY)
- Q3 key for growth this year
- Two more products to launch this year
- Navi Mumbai showroom has been opened today (first luxury brand in Navi Mumbai, Mercedes-Benz too plans a showroom here)
- Lucknow and Goa showroom to open later this year
- Audi to launch S6 by the end of the year
- Audi will start local assembly of the Q7 in India by the end of 2012.