Honda Cars India has issued a voluntary recall of its three models – City, Jazz and Civic. The latest round of recalls are announced due to faulty airbag inflators.
Honda has announced that it will voluntarily recall more than 57,000 of its cars to fix faulty airbags installed in them. The cars which have been recalled are the City, Jazz and Civic manufactured between January 2012 and June 2013. The latest round of airbag related recalls are in line with the worldwide recall of vehicles by different brands which sourced their airbags from Takata Corporation of Japan.
The automaker has said that in all 57,676 vehicles are affected with the issue and will be brought to Honda’s workshops to replace the driver side airbag in the vehicles. The affected cars are –
- 49,572 units of the City manufactured between January 2012 and June 2013
- 7504 units of the Jazz manufactured between February 2012 and February 2013
- 600 units of the Civic manufactured between January 2012 and August 2012
Honda says that it will individually contact owners of the affected vehicles in a phased manner. The replacement would be carried out free of cost at Honda dealerships across India starting from 20th February 2016.
Honda has also setup a special microsite at the company’s website www.hondacarindia.com to help customers. The owners of Honda cars can check whether their car is one of the affected vehicles or not by submitting their 17 character alpha-numeric Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) on that microsite.
This is the second recall by Honda Cars India pertaining to the Takata airbag fiasco. Honda, in September, recalled 2,23,578 units of the Jazz, City, Civic and CR-V models in the country to replace defective airbag inflators, which was the largest such exercise in the country then. The company recently issued another round of recalls (affecting 90,000 cars) in December related to faulty fuel return pipe used in the diesel version of the City and Mobilio.
Honda Recalls 57,676 Cars
– The latest round of recalls is announced to replace faulty driver side airbags
– 49,572 units of City, 7504 units of Jazz and 600 units of Civic are affected
– Honda will contact owners individually and the replacement would be carried out in a phased manner
– Customers can check whether their cars are infected or not by submitting their VIN on a special microsite created by Honda