Hyundai’s Kappa engined i10 is indeed fantastic, a test drive of the new 1.2L powered i10 makes us say so.
The already good i10 becomes even better with the Kappa engine. This engine is Euro 5 compliant, DOHC, 16 valve unit and produces a decent 80bhp@5200RPM, 11.4KGM@4000RPM and redlines at 6500RPM. Sounds pretty good on paper, oh yes it does. Here are some important points about the i10 1.2 : –
- Engine revvs smoothly.
- Good engine power for a small hatch.
- Ride and handling remains good.
- The new 1.2 engine is 3kgs lighter then the 1.1 IRDe.
- AC didn’t seem to be cooling well enough.
- Steering is light and makes it easy to manoeuvre the i10.
- Top model is overpriced at above Rs. 6 lacs.
- Sportz model has nothing sporty about it.
- Gear shift is smooth.
- Non ABS version has decent brakes, hard braking tends to lock the wheels.
- Interiors are very good.
- Red coloured i10 has red inserts on dash which doesn’t seem that impressive.
- Boot is decent.
- Mileage : Hyundai claim some unrealistic figures but 12-14 in city is achievable.
To sum up the car is very good value and definately worth a buy. Its practical and ticks in almost every department. The only chink in its armour is the lack of a diesel engine, but not for long.