Tata Motors will soon enter the premium hatchback space with the Altroz.
Upcoming Tata Altroz
Tata Motors unveiled their new Altroz premium hatchback at the Geneva Motor Show earlier this year. The concept version of the vehicle, known as the 45X, was showcased at the 2018 Auto Expo and it did gather a lot of anticipation from the Indian car buying audience. The vehicle drew a lot of eyeballs at Geneva and now the automaker is gearing up to launch this car in India. Before we drive and test it next month, here are 5 things to look forward to in the Altroz –
1) Styling – The Altroz looks unlike any other car in the segment. The styling is quite attractive and it carries the IMPACT 2.0 theme. It looks very refreshing when compared to its rivals because the premium hatchback segment hasn’t really seen any new offering since a long time now. The design elements of the Altroz have been given a striking look while the humanity line adds to the character of the car while the design of the side profile is very unique with its never-seen-before swoosh-shaped finisher. This vehicle is bound to offer good road presence too.
2) Cabin – The sophisticated theme of the exterior has been carried over to the interiors as well. The dashboard gets a very nice design and the new steering wheel looks great. Tata designers have also managed to retain the youthful feel on the inside and the cabin does look very premium. Tata designers seem to have carried over a lot of elements like the floating center island from the 45X concept to the production version. Knowing Tata, we’re expecting it to offer class-leading space too.
3) Features – Tata Motors impressed in the past with the equipment list on the Harrier and the Altroz won’t be different. It will come with a pretty long feature list including Projector headlamps, 7-inch Harman touchscreen infotainment system with Android Auto and Apple CarPlay connectivity, rain-sensing wipers, keyless entry, push button start, auto climate control, ambient lighting and the likes. The Altroz is also expected to come loaded with a host of safety features.
4) BS6 Engines – The Altroz will be offered with 1.2-litre petrol and 1.5-litre diesel engines. Both the engines will comply with BS6 emission norms right from launch. Tata’s diesel engines are known for their performance and efficiency. Also, at a time when many manufacturers will be discontinuing diesel variants of their hatchbacks, Tata will continue offering an oil-burner.
5) ALFA Platform – The Tata Altroz is underpinned by the ALFA (Agile Light Flexible Advance) architecture. The Altroz will be the first car to get this architecture. The premium hatchback is expected to get an almost flat rear floor thus improving rear comfort and legroom. The platform is supposed to be light while retaining Tata Motors’ DNA of safety at the same time. Tata Motors recently achieved a 5/5 safety rating with the Nexon and we expect the Altroz based on this new architecture to score quite high as well
In summary – Tata Altroz will be a refreshing entry into the premium hatchback category and for buyers in the market looking for a premium, feature loaded hatchback – would be worth waiting for. The detailed review of the Altroz will be available soon when the unveil happens in the first week of December