Driving Dynamics – The Land Rover Discovery Sport has a very pliant ride which makes the passengers feel comfortable no matter how the road terrain is. Even on craters that are present on Mumbai roads, the Discovery Sport doesn’t feel unsettled at all and you don’t really need to slow down much. Handling is also good by SUV standards and while some body roll is present, the vehicle instils confidence and remains stable at high speeds even while cornering. While I don’t have any complaints with regards to the tyres, I feel that the brakes could have been more confidence inspiring, maybe the brake pads on our test car had worn out.
Verdict – The Land Rover Discovery Sport is a very likeable premium SUV because it is very practical for day-to-day usage and offers a comfortable ride too. The new engine impresses us with its performance and the off-road capabilities of the SUV are splendid. It also feels very tough and robust and makes you feel that it can indeed take you wherever you want to go. The Discovery Sport is an SUV hard to ignore, provided you can sacrifice a wee bit on the additional premium feel that is offered by Germans in the same price bracket, which is honestly the only fly in the ointment.
* Launched 2 years back, looks handsome even now
* The cabin is super practical, no complaints on this front
* New engine has been tuned nicely, gearbox is well-matched too
* Ride quality is superb, can glide over anything
* Off-road credentials are best-in-segment
What’s Not So Cool
* JLR could have added some feel-good materials on the inside
* Jaguar Land Rover aren’t best known for their service quality
Alternatives: Mercedes-Benz GLC, BMW X3, Audi Q5, Volvo XC60
Further Reading –