Mercedes-Benz is surely on a roll this time with back to back launches since the beginning of the year. After launching a series of high performance models including the ML63 and GL63 AMG SUVs and the more recent S-Class S350 CDI in the country, the Stuttgart based automaker is also set to bring a new legion of performance and luxury vehicles that will be launched across different segments in the company’s line-up in the remainder of the year. Let’s take a quick look at the upcoming launches that Mercedes has to offer.
1) E-Class E350 CDI – The current generation E-Class has been on sale since 2009 and was given a comprehensive facelift last year. However, while the facelift model added new features and an updated exterior design, the company decided to discontinue the V6 engines because of decline in demand due to the falling rupee. Now with the rupee stabilising, the company will launch the E350 CDI in the country later this year.
Internationally, the Mercedes E350 CDI is powered by a 3.0-litre V6 diesel producing 265 HP and a 3.5-litre V6 diesel engine producing around 305 HP. We think that the former would be brought to the country on the E350. The luxury saloon will be slotted between the E250 CDI and E63 AMG in the E-Class line-up and is expected with a price tag of Rs. 58 lakhs (ex-showroom). Expected to be launched around the festive season in the country, the E350 CDI will be competing against the V6 diesel powered BMW 5-Series, Audi A6 and the Jaguar XF in the segment.
2) E-Class Cabriolet – Joining the E-Class line-up in the country will be the E400 Cabriolet, which is essentially a 2-door E-Class with an open roof. The E400 couples the sporty looks of the facelifted E-Class with two elongated doors complimenting the cabriolet’s looks. Mercedes will be getting the range topping version of the E400 with all the bells and whistles including Harman Kardon Logic 7 audio system, a 360-degree camera, THERMATIC automatic climate control system, LED Intelligent Light System and much more.
The E400 Cabriolet is powered by a 3.0-litre 6-cylinder Bi-Turbo engine that produces 328 HP of power and 480 Nm of torque, paired to a 7G-TRONIC Plus transmission. 0-100 km/hr comes up in just 5.3 seconds on the E400. Despite being a convertible, the car is a 2-door, 4-seater that makes it equally practical as well. Being brought in as a CBU, expect a price tag of Rs. 85 lakhs (ex-showroom) in the country and will be primarily competing against the BMW 6-Series in the segment.
3) GLA SUV – Based on the new MFA platform that also underpins the A-Class, the GLA compact SUV is Mercedes’ answer to the BMW X1 and the Audi Q3 in the segment. The SUV sports a more crossover like appearance with rugged body cladding all over, while the interiors are shared with the A-Class. The GLA makes a very practical car for the country that provides ample amount of space, high ground clearance and compact dimensions; moreover, the 3-pointed star in the front. The GLA will be available in petrol and diesel engine options upon launch.
The GLA 200 Sport will be powered by a 1.6-litre, 4-cylinder, turbocharged, petrol motor producing 156 PS of power and 250 Nm of torque, while the 180 CDI will be powered by a 2.2-litre 4-cylinder, turbocharged diesel engine producing 167 HP and 350 Nm of torque. It is unclear if Mercedes will launch a 4MATIC (AWD in Mercedes speak) variant as well. Dealerships have officially commenced the bookings of the GLA SUV across the country, while the launch is scheduled around October this year. The SUV will be priced in the range of Rs. 28-35 lakhs.
4) CLA45 AMG – Mercedes’ 4-door sports coupe, the CLA45 AMG will be launched in the country this year. Aptly called the baby AMG, the car is based on the CLA sedan and is outright drop dead gorgeous. The CLA45 AMG is powered by a 2.0-litre direct-injection, turbocharged petrol engine that produces 355 HP of power and 450 Nm of torque, paired to an AMG Speedshift 7-speed transmission; while power is sent to all four wheels via Mercedes’ 4MATIC system. The car can do 0-100 km/hr in just 4.6 seconds and has a restricted top speed of 250 km/hr.
The CLA45 AMG is loaded with features like three stage ESP with Curve Dynamic Assist and aerodynamic front and rear bumpers with carbon fibre trims along with a range of AMG performance parts. The vehicle will be brought in as a CBU and is expected to carry a price tag of around Rs. 80 lakhs (ex-showroom) when launched in the country. Mercedes is optimistic that the CLA45 AMG will lure more buyers towards its performance vehicles and recently opened multiple AMG Performance Centres across India.
5) GLA45 AMG – Joining the CLA45 AMG will be the performance SUV GLA45 AMG this year. Based on the GLA SUV, the AMG variant gets a sportier body kit, quad exhausts, aggressive bumpers, side skirts, and a beast under the hood. The interior on the other hand gets the performance touch with the AMG steering wheel, carbon fibre upholstery and performance seats. The GLA45 AMG will join the compact car segment in Mercedes’ line-up comprising of the A and B-Class.
The GLA45 AMG is powered by a 2.0-litre 4-cylinder, turbocharged petrol engine that produces 360 HP and 450 Nm of torque. Power is sent to all four wheels via the 4MATIC system through the AMG SpeedShift 7-speed gearbox. 0-100 km/hr on the GLA45 comes up in 4.8 seconds, while the top speed is electronically limited to 250 km/hr. The performance SUV will be brought in as a CBU and will be launched later this year.