Volkswagen unveiled the new 7th generation Passat at a launch in Mumbai today. This new sedan will be brimming with Bluemotion technology, a technology which contributes to a greener earth, better fuel economy and at the same time does not take away driving pleasure (as VW likes to call it). Prices start at a competitive 20.8 lakhs (ex Delhi) for the Trendline version, the new Passat will be available only in the 2.0 liter TDI engine with the option of both manual and automatic transmission. VW will initially sell the Highline and Comfortline, followed by the Trendline later.
“We started our journey in India with the introduction of the Passat in 2007, and three successful years later it gives us great pleasure to bring the latest generation to the market. The all-new Passat will be exclusively available with BlueMotion Technologies in India and the distinctive innovations will work together to achieve good fuel efficiency and reduced emissions without depriving customers from the fun of driving. It is a design into the future with upgraded comfort, convenience, quality and safety, and more importantly cleaner and extremely fuel efficient.” – Neeraj Garg, Member of Board and Director, Volkswagen Passenger Cars India Ltd.
“The Volkswagen Brand’s commitment to sustainability is translated through the innovations of the BlueMotion Technologies. These efficient technologies have been implemented in a range of Volkswagen cars and are among the cleanest and most fuel efficient in the world. The introduction of the all-new Passat further emphasizes Volkswagen Brand’s commitment to India.” – Mr. Lutz Kothe, Head of Marketing and PR, Volkswagen India said.
Powered by a A 2.0L CR TDI engine, the Passat punches out 170PS of power and torque of 350 NM at 1750-2500Rpm.
The New Passat features the following : –
• Auto Start-Stop System: The efficient Start-Stop technology cuts emissions and saves fuel by automatically switching off the engine when waiting in traffic, and starts also automatically when the driver’s feat touches the gas pedal
• Brake Energy Recuperation: Recovers and recycles energy normally lost during braking, thereby saving fuel and cutting emissions. (Similar to the KERS, in Formula 1)
• DSG Dual Clutch Gearbox: Combines the comfort and convenience of an automatic transmission with the efficiency and performance of a manual gearbox. Rapid and precise gear changes are the key advantages of this gearbox over automatic ones, besides ensuring higher fuel efficiency and reduction of carbon emissions. For those who still wish to change gears manually the tiptronic shift function makes it possible too.
• Gear Shift Indicator: An intelligent gear shift prompt that is available in the manual transmission that leads to significant reduction in fuel consumption
• The Park Assist takes over during the parking process and maneuvers the car into any suitable parallel or perpendicular bay on its own. You just have to control the accelerator and the brake.
• The new Attention Assist detects driver fatigue and warns him/her with an acoustic signal and a visual message on the instrument cluster recommending a break from driving
• The Acoustic Sound Lamination in the front and rear windshields substantially dampens the traffic noise from outside for a calm and pleasant cabin
• Climate Seats with active ventilation and massage function for the driver and front passenger to enhance driving comfort & memory seats.
• Other features include bi-xenon headlamps, along with rounded in-set headlamps and LED daytime running lights, electronic parking brake, keyless entry and start option.
• Prices (Ex Delhi) as follows – Trendline: 20,80,000, Comfortline: 23,80,000, Highline: 25,65,000