With the MPV segment becoming more and more popular, we bring you a list of the top 5 most fuel efficient MPV’s available in India.
1) Honda Mobilio – This MPV from Honda was launched in the year 2014 and after the initial hoopla died, the sales of the vehicle have fallen too. However, it still remains the most frugal MPV available in India with a fuel efficiency figure of 24.5 km/l in its diesel avatar. The 1.5-litre Earth Dreams diesel engine which powers the vehicle has been a very popular engine for Honda and is found under the hood of other cars in the portfolio too, delivering even more km/l.
2) Maruti Suzuki Ertiga – When we talk of fuel efficiency, Maruti Suzuki has to be there in the list. One of its hot seller Ertiga doesn’t only provide the owners with ample space, it also ensures that it doesn’t bite their wallet hard. Returning a respectable figure of 20.77 km/l, it isn’t too far behind the leader. Powering the car is the famous 1.3-litre DDiS diesel engine which is found under the hood of many cars in the Indian market.
3) Datsun GO+ – While the majority of sales in the MPV segment is via diesel engines, Datsun has launched the GO+ with a petrol engine only. This has helped the brand market it as the most affordable MPV in the Indian market. Powering the car is the 1.2-litre petrol unit found in its sibling, the GO hatchback as well as its cousin, the Nissan Micra. The fuel efficiency figure stands at 20.6 km/l which is just a shade below the Ertiga and isn’t bad considering this is a petrol engine.
4) Renault Lodgy – The new kid on the block has also found its way on this list after becoming the top seller for Renault in India. Available with the 1.5-litre K9K engine found in the Duster, it comes in two states of tune – 84 BHP or 108 BHP of power. The former delivers a decent figure of 19.98 km/l. This combined with the acres of space inside the vehicle is the main reason of the vehicle’s success in the Indian market.
5) Chevrolet Enjoy – The affordable MPV from the Chevrolet stable gets the 1.3-litre diesel engine which helps it return 18.2 km/l making it the fifth most fuel efficient MPV in India currently. However, the vehicle hasn’t been able to gather much sales due to its boring looks and Chevrolet’s lacklustre approach to the Indian market. The American brand recently launched an updated version of the MPV to improve its sales in the country.
6) Mahindra Xylo – The age old MPV from the Mahindra stable has also found its way onto the list somehow. Powered by the 2.2-litre mHawk engine, it puts out 118 BHP of power and 280 Nm of torque which makes it the most powerful car in this lot. Along with the extra power, the additional weight over the competition hampers the fuel efficiency ratings and it delivers 14.02 km/l which isn’t bad considering the non-aerodynamic shape of the vehicle.