At Suzuki’s 2009 model launch held in Paris, Suzuki Europe unveiled its all-new GSX-R1000 K9. Boasting an all-new compact engine, shorter wheelbase and new styling, the new GSX-R1000 raises the bar once more in the hotly-contested liter bike class.
With significant changes in the engine department, the new GSX-R boasts a more over-square bore and stroke (74.5mm x 57.3mm), larger, titanium valves, a higher compression ratio (now 12.8:1 as opposed to the K8’s 12.5:1), and 12 hole fuel injectors, to deliver a finer fuel mist for more complete combustion. All this with a power-plant that is 59mm shorter from front to rear.
And it’s not just the engine that’s seen the significant changes either, as the all-new chassis makes the GSX-R1000 more agile than ever before. With the new shorter, twin-spar cast cradle frame, mated to a new longer, arched swing-arm made of three castings, the new bike boasts increased racetrack performance with a wheelbase shortened by 10mm.
Equipped with Showa’s new Big Piston Forks (BPF) with endurance race proven design, these, combined with a new rear shock absorber that features high and low-speed compression damping, offer superb feedback and response with reduced weight too. The new lightweight, race-proven mono-block forged radial calipers, mated to fully-floating 310mm discs offer superb stopping power.
With a unique engine and chassis package, the aggressive aesthetics and rider controls top-off the flagship GSX-R. WIth the unique Suzuki Advanced Exhaust System, featuring low-slung MotoGP inspired titanium exhausts, a lighter, sculptured fuel tank, on-board lap timer and revised Suzuki Drive Mode Selector controls, the new bike offers the complete sports package.
2009 Suzuki GSX-R1000 Specifications:
- Engine Type: 4-stroke, 4-cylinder, liquid-cooled, DOHC
- Bore x Stroke: 74.5 mm x 57.3 mm
- Engine Displacement: 999cc
- Compression: Ratio: 12.8 : 1
- Transmission: 6-speed constant mesh
- Suspension: Front: Inverted telescopic, coil spring, spring preload fully adjustable, rebound and compression damping force fully adjustable, Rear: Link type, oil damped, coil spring, spring preload fully adjustable, rebound and compression damping force 2-way fully adjustable
- Wheels: Front: 17 M/C x MT3.50, cast aluminum-alloy, Rear: 17 M/C x MT6.00, cast aluminum-alloy
- Brakes: Front: Radial mount, 4-piston calipers 310 mm disc, twin, Rear: 1-piston caliper, 220 mm disc
- Tires: Front: 120/70ZR17, Rear: 190/50ZR17
- Fuel Tank: 17.5 L
2009 Suzuki GSX-R1000 Dimensions:
- Overall length x width x height: 2,045 mm X 710 mm X 1,130 mm
- Wheelbase: 1,405 mm
- Ground Clearance: 130mm
- Seat Height: 810 mm
- Curb Mass: 203kg
Official Website – 2009 Suzuki GSX-R1000