Hyundai is testing the ix20 in India currently. While the MPV won’t be launched in India, it is being used to test various engines which will power other Hyundai cars.
It is very common to spot vehicles testing on the roads these days. Majority of the automakers test the vehicles on public roads for a long period of time before actually launching the same. Manier times, cars which won’t be launched in India are also tested here. This is done to test engines or other components which may be used in other cars of the brand.
Hyundai is currently developing a MPV for the Indian market and it will be launched in the near future. However, recently, the ix20 was spotted testing on Chennai roads. The Korean automaker has no plans of launching the same in India and it is probably being used to test engines for the upcoming MPV and other vehicles.
The Hyundai ix20 comes with four engines in the European market:
- 1.4-litre petrol engine developing 90 PS of power and 140 Nm of torque
- 1.6-litre petrol engine developing 125 PS of power and 159 Nm of torque
- 1.4-litre diesel engine developing 90 PS of power and 245 Nm of torque
- 1.6-litre diesel engine developing 128 PS of power and 265 Nm of torque
The ix20 gets three transmission options with two being manuals and one being automatic. The 5-speed manual gearbox does duty on the 1.4-litre petrol variants whereas the 6-speed manual gearbox does duty on both the diesel engines. The automatic gearbox is paired only to the 1.6-litre petrol engine. The MPV for the Indian market isn’t too far away and will soon be ready to compete.
Hyundai ix20 Testing In India
– Hyundai is testing the ix20 in India
– No plans to launch the MPV here
– A new 7-seater MPV being developed for India
– The ix20 serving as a base to test new engines for our market