Maruti is looking at gaining pole position in India’s fast-growing Utility Vehicles segment.
Maruti Suzuki is looking at shedding the image of being a ‘small car’ maker through the slew of UV launches planned over the next three years. The automaker is aiming at grabbing the front seat in India’s fast-growing and high-margin UV segment.
The company will be having over half a dozen UVs and crossovers in its portfolio with three new offerings lined up for launch this decade. The three new vehicles planned are –
* A crossover which will be a derivative of the Ertiga platform, internally codenamed YHB
* A three-row Wagon R MPV (already on sale in Indonesia and is a Datsun GO+ rival)
* A premium SUV which will be positioned above the Vitara Brezza
The YHB derivative is likely to be a three-row utility vehicle with a sporty design language along the lines of the Honda BR-V. The premium SUV will be priced in the Rs. 12-18 lakh bracket and will rival the Tata Hexa, Mahindra XUV500 and Jeep Compass.
The Swift-maker also has plans for its existing line-up of cars. According to industry sources, the Ertiga and S-Cross are likely to feature Suzuki’s new 1.5-litre diesel engine, while the Brezza is likely to get a petrol powertrain. The Brezza’s runaway success in the compact SUV space has inspired the carmaker to venture into the premium SUV space.
Maruti UV Onslaught
– Maruti is planning to launch 3 new UVs in the next 3 years
– The XUV500 rivalling premium SUV is expected to be launched by the end of 2019
– The automaker holds 28.24 percent market share in the UV segment
Source – ETAuto.com