The first spy shots of the production ready Fiat 500X were spotted testing with heavy camouflage. From what the spy shots reveal, the 500X looks like the regular 500 with increased ground clearance featuring the familiar well rounded curves on the crossover. Expect to see the quintessential 500 front fascia along with a sloping rear window. The 500X will make its debut later this year, with production commencing at the company’s Melfi plant in Italy.
Measuring in at 4175 mm in length, the Fiat 500X will be the biggest of the 500 family. Sharing its platform with the Jeep Renegade that was unveiled earlier this year, the 500X will get front and all-wheel drive options on the crossover. On the inside, expect to see two-tone seats, a chunkier steering wheel and an updated infotainment system.
While the Jeep Renegade will feature a 2.4-litre engine option, the 500X is more likely to get compact and efficient engine options that will be found under the hood and are most likely to be borrowed from the 500L. Expect the following powertrains to feature on the 500X for the European market –
* 1.4 MultiAir turbo petrol engine producing 120 HP with a CNG option
* 0.9 Twin Air two-cylinder engine producing 105 HP
* 1.3 MultiJet diesel engine producing 85 PS of power and 200 Nm of torque
* 1.6 MultiJet diesel engine producing 105 PS of power and 320 Nm of torque
* 1.4-litre engine producing 95 PS of power and 127 Nm of torque, paired to a 6-speed manual on the base model
The Fiat 500X will be the sixth model in the 500 family, joining the 500 city car, 500C convertible, 500L MPV, 500 Abarth and 500C electric car. Sales of the Fiat 500X are expected to commence next year onwards. The US launch on the other hand is expected to begin in the third quarter of 2015.
Source – WorldCarFans