Despite the impressive growth in the scooter segment, only one scooter the ‘Honda Activa’ could generate enough sales to compete against motorcycles in the top 10 list.
The two-wheeler market has senn a consistent growing in the past years, in contrast to the four-wheeler market that was slumping for most part of the same period. The last financial year brought in major growth for automakers with Hero MotoCorp leading the pack closely followed by Honda while Bajaj Auto saw a major downfall in volumes during the same period. Nonetheless, the two-wheeler market continues to grow for all with the scooter market promising positive prospects for its manufacturers. Here are the top 10 selling two-wheelers for the 2014-15 financial year –
1) Hero MotoCorp remained the undisputed king of volumes in the financial year 2014-15 with as many as four products making it to the top 10 selling list. The iconic Splendor continued to retain the top spot with a little over 25 lakh units sold in the last fiscal; while the Passion came in third with over 13.4 lakh units sold during the same period. The other popular sellers in Hero’s lineup were the HF Deluxe at the fourth spot with 10.8 lakh units sold and the Glamour that came in tenth with 5.51 lakh units sold.
2) The Hero Glamour was the new entrant to the top 10 list this year as the model replaced the slow-selling Bajaj Platina that took up the tenth spot in the previous financial year 2013-14.
3) Speaking of which, Bajaj Auto had a disappointing last year witnessing the volumes taking a nose dive in sales for the Discover brand. The commuter motorcycle offering saw a downfall of 43.9 percent in sales during the last fiscal which reflected on the list as well, with the Discover moving from the fifth position in 2013-14 fiscal to the ninth position in the 2014-15 fiscal.
4) Brand Pulsar happened to be Bajaj’s saviour, continuing to perform consistently well and sold 6.31 lakh units in the last fiscal with a growth of 5.1 percent. With the advent of four new Pulsars this year, the number will get a significant jump.
5) Honda India’s best-selling Activa retained the second spot on the list with over 21.78 lakh units sold during the previous financial year, witnessing a whopping 30 percent year-on-year growth. The Activa was also the only scooter on the top 10 list while the next best selling scooter was the Maestro with just 4.84 lakh units sold.
6) Honda’s other models weren’t far behind either with the CB Shine 125 retailing 8.27 lakh units, witnessing a growth of 13.5 percent while the Dream commuter sold 6.14 lakhs units and had a growth of 8.7 percent during the last fiscal.
7) TVS made it to the list but only with one product that was the XL Super moped with 7.55 lakh units sold in the last financial year and witnessed a growth of 4.5 percent.