May 2015 saw sales grow steadily for most two-wheelers wherein motorcycles have seen limited growth while scooters continue to have a healthy run on the sales chart.
The 2015-16 financial year commenced on a positive note in April and the trend has carried over to the next month as well. May 2015 saw sales increase for most two-wheeler makers, even though motorcycle sales individually haven’t been as optimistic when compared to the previous years. Scooters, on the other hand, are consistently doing well with the Honda Activa leading the pack once again. With the sales numbers released for the second month of the current fiscal, here are the top 10 selling two-wheelers in May 2015.
1) Despite the harsh weather conditions across the country which adversely affected the sales of commuter motorcycles in rural areas, the Hero Splendor sold 2,41,249 units in May 2015, reporting a growth of almost 9 percent, when compared to the same period last year. On a month-on-month basis, Hero’s best seller registered a growth of 22.42 percent over April 2015.
2) Sales for the Hero Passion dropped by 27.18 percent with the motorcycle registering 1,04,054 units in May 2015, as against the 1,42,885 units sold in May 2014. On a month-on-month basis, sales dropped further by 12.92 percent for the Passion as compared to the units sold this April. Nonetheless, the HF Deluxe and Glamour were strong performers for the company clocking positive numbers. Overall, Hero MotoCorp clocked over 5,69,876 units in the previous month, 5.41 percent lesser than the 6,02,481 units sold in May 2014.
3) Bajaj made a comeback to the mass market space with the revival of the CT 100, which has been doing well ever since its launch. The automaker sold 66,263 units of the CT 100 in May 2015, amassing a growth of 24.25 percent compared to April 2015 and also saw the entry-level motorcycle overtake the TVS Super XL on the top 10 list, rising to sixth position. The company is ramping up the production of the CT 100 and also introducing the model in more states that will help increase sales numbers further.
4) The Pulsar continues to retain its position at the ninth spot as Bajaj Auto retailed 53,263 units of the highly popular bike in May 2015. The arrival of the Pulsar RS 200, AS 200 and AS 150 have fuelled the brand’s sales further and numbers are likely to grow more, once the 150 NS makes its debut later in the year.
5) Honda Motorcycle and Scooter India was at its dominant best this May with the Activa retaining the second spot. The company sold 1,87,827 units of the popular scooter clocking a growth of 16.64 percent against the same period last year. At the fifth spot, the CB Shine witnessed a month-on-month growth of 6.67 percent. Honda’s Dream series made an entry on the list with 39,719 units sold and settled at the tenth spot, replacing the Hero Maestro. The commuter dream of Honda isn’t really going anywhere.
6) Other positive sellers for the month were Royal Enfield which clocked a year-on-year growth of 41.23 percent, whereas Suzuki is doing well with the Gixxer 155.