The year 2014 saw a lot of exciting as well as boring bikes being launched in the Indian auto market. Some of them became success stories and climbed up the sales charts fast while others didn’t sell in high numbers because they are meant for the niche market. So anyways, here is our list of the top 5 bikes launches of 2014.
1) Suzuki Gixxer – The Gixxer is Suzuki’s flagship 150cc bike aimed at the mass-market segment. The new Gixxer is leagues ahead of the model it replaces. The bike received a very good start and Suzuki seemed optimistic of selling 1 lakh units of the bike within a year. The Gixxer did come with complaints of rusting though, which Suzuki offered to rectify effectively. The Suzuki Gixxer competes with the Yamaha FZ and Honda CB Trigger.
2) KTM RC 390 – KTM launched the Duke 390 in 2013 and it went on to become an instant success. The RC 390 is the faired version of the Duke 390 and again it offers scintillating performance at an attractive price. The RC 390 has also been a success story and it has turned out to be a very good alternative to the Kawasaki Ninja 300.
3) Kawasaki Z800 – The Kawasaki Z800 is not meant for everyone. It is a niche bike and it offers a great outburst of speed. The Z800 looks killer with its street-fighter design and it looks fast even while standing still. Be sure to expect a lot of attention on the road while you ride one! It’s the most affordable 4-cylinder bike in India currently.
4) Honda Activa 125 – The Honda Activa has been selling like hot cakes since the day it was first launched in the market last decade. The Activa 125 was one of the most awaited scooters in the Indian market. It comes with a host of changes over the regular Activa and is powered by a 125cc engine. It is highly preferred over the Piaggio Vespa or the Suzuki Swish.
5) TVS Star City+ – The Star City+ is a commuter bike that comes with a 110cc engine. There is nothing extraordinary about the bike but it offers tremendous value for money and good riding dynamics. It is meant to satisfy the needs of those who require a reliable and efficient bike for daily commuting, without losing out on the fun factor.