Auto manufacturers are resorting advanced technologies and smaller capacity motors to maximise on fuel efficiency much to the buyer and environment’s benefit.
1) Maruti Suzuki Ciaz SHVS – The Ciaz is India’s most frugal car currently as the mild hybrid helps it return an ARAI claimed 28.09 km/l.
2) Maruti Celerio DDiS 125 – The twin-cylinder 800cc diesel motor is India’s smallest oil burner and returns a claimed 27.62 km/l.
3) Maruti Baleno – Maruti’s flagship hatchback, the Baleno returns a fuel efficiency figure of 27.39 km/l from its 1.3-litre diesel mill.
4) Honda Jazz – The 1.5-litre i-DTEC diesel powerplant does duty on a host of Honda cars in India but is the most frugal in the Jazz at 27.3 km/l.
5) Maruti Suzuki Swift DZire – At times the top selling car in India, the Swift based DZire diesel manages to go a claimed 26.59 km/l.
6) Honda City – The latest generation model of the Honda City not only won back its leadership position in the C-segment but does it with an impressive mileage of 26 km/l for the diesel.
7) Ford Figo/Aspire – The 1.5-litre diesel mill in the Figo twins are not only the most powerful in their respective segments but also extremely frugal at 25.83 km/l.
8) Honda Amaze – Honda’s compact sedan returns 25.8 km/l on the oil burner while generating 100 PS of power and 200 Nm of torque.
9) Chevrolet Beat – Another Fiat engine but with 3-cylinders, the 1.0-litre diesel mill in the Beat is good enough for 25.44 km/l.
10) Maruti Suzuki Swift – The third most selling car in India every month, the Swift in its diesel avatar manages to return 25.2 km/l for the facelifted model.